Follow on Post of Trials and Tribulations of Life in the Countryside

Well, where do I start  - firstly a massive thank you from me - I cannot believe I have had only 1000k read my blog......totally blown away with your lovely  comments and personal messages, so once again thank you and keep reading!

   
So whats been happening............?


I can't believe it has been two weeks since my last update  -  I am awaiting stock of equine and dog  merchandise that I will be advertising so keep a look out for my next blog as I will have some amazing products for your  "best friends" ranging from shampoos, coat gloss, itch controller and much more!  I use the products on my own ponies and dogs and I have seen amazing results.  All of the products used are aromatherapy based made with natural ingredients. 

We are all exited as tomorrow we are having our chickens delivered ( social distancing observed ). We have converted an unused stable into a  coop, including a swing  ready for the new arrivals. I will post pictures and update you in the next blog....I don't want to photo bomb the girls on their first day! The children are very excited and have chosen names that I will share with you all.

Gary making chicken coop  

Our summer fields have now been sprayed for rag wort but what we didn't release is you still need to dig up the dying  weed! So last Friday OMG what a nightmare,  walking 4 acres with a rag wort fork,  black bags,  wheelbarrow and cold drinks in this scoring weather we are having picking up weeds! Not that we should complain about the weather,  it has been lovely, despite the world being in lockdown.  Something we never thought about when buying you think acres / fields.......not a problem. But I did complete 17k steps before noon  - all helps with the weight loss. 






Our winter paddock has been harrowed and rolled  (this helps to remove dead vegetation and also aerates the soil)   - hopefully the grass will grow back before autumn for us to use over winter.


    



The electric fencing has been delivered so that is another job to add to our list. We can then move the ponies to the 4 acres for them to munch away.  We have started to turn them out to night and bring them in at am. It is working really well. Keeps the fly's off them and them out of the heat. They love their stables and if not sleeping you will find them playing.  

Time for my morning snooze,
I love eating and resting!



 
                       Time for a kick around!



On my last blog I shared with you how we are starting to lunge Pumpkin Pie to try and keep his fat belly in trim.  My friend Helen was coming over weekly ( observing social distancing  ) to show us the ropes. I am not yet 100% but getting there and pleased with my results.  Excuse my 7:30am attire in the video. lol. 



Here  is this weeks recipe  - Sent to me by one of my readers

                                                            Lemon Drizzle Cake    

Made solely by my son who is becoming quite a baker!


       
Ingredients for the cake 

225g unsalted butter, softened

225g caster sugar

4 eggs

225g self-raising flour

finely grated zest 1 lemon



For the drizzle topping

juice 1½ lemons

85g caster sugar



  Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.

  • Beat together the  softened unsalted butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy, then add 4 eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through.
  • Sift in the self-raising flour, then add the finely grated zest of 1 lemon and mix until well combined.
  • Line a 2lb loaf tin or two 1lb loaf tins with grease proof paper, then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon.

Bake for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer  inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.

  • While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the juice of the lemons  and caster sugar to make the drizzle.
  • Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
  • Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve

                                                   AND ENJOY  -  DELICIOUS

 
                                             







                                  Apple Cider Vinegar - totally amazing for horses and ponies

  • Apple cider vinegar is great to use as an insect / fly repellent on your horse and ponies.

So easy - this is my tried and tested recipe  - I use this on my trio before  they are turned out at night and when I bring them back into  the stable in the  morning. .

Buy or re use a spray bottle - ensuring it is clean and fill it with the vinegar - IT IS THAT EASY - Make sure you use an organic version though, as this will be more effective. 


  • I have been giving my ponies 15ml of the vinegar  each morning diluted 50/50 with the same measure of water mixed with a few pony cubes.  It works to acidify their stomach for better digestion and absorption of minerals. It helps protect your horse/pony against bacteria and water borne diseases and ulcers. It can also help the absorption of sugar into their bloodstream and help reduce the risk of laminitis.  This also helps and controls arthritis and joint stiffness. When you give this to your horse daily the vinegar works to remove toxins, restore pH balance and increase crucial minerals, all of which improves joint health.


                                                                

Even if you don't feed the vinegar as above you can still provide benefit to your horses by adding the vinegar to their drinking  water.   Add 230 ml of vinegar  to a trough of  22 litres of drinking water. Adding the vinegar will also reduce algae and deter insects.  

  • Vinegar  is also an excellent main and tail conditioner  - Add 250 mls  of vinegar to a bucket of water for the final rinse of your horses tail.  For their mane  - put the vinegar combined with the water  in a spray bottle and comb through the  mane. This is also  a great detangler.   

  • If your horse or pony has any skin infections or other wounds spray the area using your spray bottle  - diluted   - and this is a great way to keep bacteria and insects away.

  • Hoof problems - If you horse has minor hoof problems including bruising and abscesses use 120 mls in 5 litres of water to soak their hoof. 

That is all for this latest BLOG - Please feel free to leave me a comment or email me directly at:   

                                           Catherine.curtis500@gmail.com

Follow us on  Instgram        Queenbee_and_Friends


                                                              
 
.









 



Comments

Popular Posts